Wednesday 30 April 2014

Faith and force

Throughout human history a person's faith defined him as much as his gender, eye colour, or race. And just as people were killed for their race, they were killed for their beliefs.  As opposed to other things, though, faith is something voluntary.
After you cross the fine age barrier of about 5, you do not just believe what you're told. I can tell from now and until doomsday that the sky is blue and the trees are green, but if you're colourblind, you are not going to believe me. I can tell you that the painkillers take away a headache, but if you choose to say, I don't believe in conventional medicine, and you've never tried it, you are not going to believe me.
In exactly the same way I can tell you that there is a God, and that Jews are chosen, not to lord over others, but for  a mission, for a responsibility, which has been proven time and again by their whole tragic history, if your reality is that of a liberal society, where satanist rituals have equal value to the Pesach Seder, you are not going to believe me, and resent me for saying it. And just as I cannot change the eyes of a colourblind person, I cannot change your reality. Faith is VOLUNTARY. If you choose to believe that Christ is coming back, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. And this freedom of faith is an inherent part of being human. No ruler, however oppressive, can take it away, with any brutal force, till your last breath.  Your thoughts and feelings are yours, in the end of the day. You may choose to relinquish them, or to pretend that you did, but it's YOUR choice.
That's why, throughout history, people who knew this little fact, whether instinctively, or through education, proved to be the biggest threat to any regime. Your knowing eyes are a threat to them, even you remain silent. So you must nod, or they will doubt your faith. Nod in every oppressive educational institution. And I can not only pound the walls in frustration with my fists when it's being done to my children, but to also teach them this inherent truth. I will be repeating it till I die. Kids, it's your right to choose what you believe. And I accept your freedom to believe differently from me.
Dear teachers, parents and other educators: you. cannot. force. faith. Do you hear me? cannot. God made it one of our inherent freedoms in this world to choose what we believe, and you cannot deprive us of it. Cannot force us to feel what you wish us to feel.  I'm on a crusade against brainwashing, guilt tripping into submission, and threatening into obedience. We are created free.
Times are changing so fast that we can barely keep up. But some things stay, and stay relevant. To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment